What is a Yoni Massage and What should I look for in a Therapist?
Yoni massage is fast becoming a ‘thing’, and they’re actually becoming more widely recognised in the West as a way of improving love lives, as well as relieving any stress and tension and negative emotions that the vagina is storing.
So what exactly is this then?
Yoni is the Sanskrit word for vagina, so yes a yoni massage is a vaginal massage. But hold on, keep calm, let me explain.
First things first, Yoni Massage is similar to a massage anywhere else in the body, in that it releases tension. However because the yoni is one of the most intimate and powerful parts of the body it’s important that the massage follows certain guidelines. Having been practicing for over twenty years as a professional Tantric practitioner the advice I would give anyone seeking yoni massage is:
- Yoni massage is profound work and a professional practitioner should have years of experience and have studied with reputable organisation.
- A person interested in yoni massage should get a recommendation from someone who has received one first hand, this is not something you can just randomly search for on an internet search engine. I find most of my clients come through word of mouth, which is not surprising to me as it is such a unique and personal form of healing.
- Do not go blindly into a consultation, read up on the subject – there are some great books out there, but the main thing to understand is that this is not a sexual service. A few factors that make a yoni massage different from sex are:
1. No sex! A professional Tantric Therapist massage therapist is only there to give to the recipient. I say to all my clients, ‘it is your journey, I am just here to hold the space’. After all, it is all about the person receiving the massage, though it is rare for women to purely receive.
2. There should be a strong focus on healing and holding space for whatever emotions come up so these can be felt and experienced.
- The intention of the massage is for healing, awakening and transformation.
- I feel it is important that clear intentions for both the receiver and the giver are set
- That clear communication about boundaries and sensation; I like to spend time with my clients talking and listening before any treatment session
- In my opinion it I really important that the treatment space is set up as sacred.
I also feel it is really important for women and those who are in love and support of them to understand that following a yoni massage, it’s normal to feel emotional. It’s even normal and natural to feel uncomfortable or weird about the experience. The experience in the aftermath can seem quite unbelievable and surreal. I always say to people “this is your time for reflection and the time that you are processing and releasing negative emotions…so be kind to yourself and give yourself time.”
I think this work is really important and that is why I have devoted my life’s work to it, but I think there is a special type of person that can offer this work and hold this space and it is important that a woman finds the right therapist for her. I think we all deserve to feel pleasure and that we need to start embracing sexual energy and accepting that we are all born in a state of bliss; this is how we are supposed to be naturally.
I feel we’ve got a long way to go, but times are changing and we all know that the change starts with the self.
Good luck on your own personal Tantric Journey.
If you are interested in finding out more about yoni massage, our therapists and Tantric Journey, then please visit our website here. If you have any questions then please email Mal on firstname.lastname@example.org