On the 2nd Day of Christmas my True Love gave to me….
THE GIFT OF BEING COMPLETELY PRESENT
When you spend time with your partner, Mal Weeraratne says it’s important to be there fully, with no phones, no social media channels, television or distractions. “This is especially important when making love,” he said. One of the things that Mal Weeraratne talks about in his book, ‘Emotional Detox through Bodywork’, is the power of the 7 gateways which includes the eyes and on his Tantra workshops for couples he teaches the practice of eye-gazing. “You may like to try eye gazing – looking deeply into each other’s eyes while sitting opposite each other – clothed or naked – to see into who they really are, to connect with their soul”, says Mal Weeraratne. “It is a powerful opportunity to truly see and be really seen as you create deeper intimacy and connection. It is a technique that takes practice as it challenges your trust and can bring up vulnerabilities. Working through these areas as a couple is important is strengthening your bond and deepening your connection.”
For centuries literature and song has lamented over the power of the gaze; but terms such as, ‘I only have eyes for you’ and ‘my eyes adored you’, may not just be flowery sentiment because science has confirmed that undying affection set ablaze by eye gazing is a founded physiological fact.
There are more neurons in the brain dedicated to vision than the other four senses combined with up to 80% of what our bodies take in being filtered through our eyes. And the eyes are not just windows to the soul, but also to neuron pathways that can form love connections in our brains. As a result of this the matter of how we harness the eyes to “create” love has been the subject of decades of scientific study.
5 tips to get started…
- Start small….just try eye gazing with your partner for one and build on the time gradually.
- Meditate for a few minutes before you eye gaze.
- Relax…this is a practice to deepen intimacy…it is about you and your partner…you can’t get it wrong
- Remember: there is no time limit. With each gaze and you can stay as long as you like, and leave whenever you like
- Wear something comfortable, so you’re able to focus and relax
- Practice makes perfect…it can be hard the first time around but this practice will get easier the more often you try.
If you are interested in learning more then Mal Weeraratne’s book can be purchased here or for more information about Tantric Journey, please visit the website here.